California Pacific Society for Range Management


About Cal Pac SRM What's New - Meetings & Events Meet the Board Become a Member! Newsletters Publications & Resources Range Camp Awards Certified Rangeland Managers Contact Us Home


CalPac SRM on Facebook


CalPac SRM on Twitter








Certified Rangeland Managers

Slideshow Image 11

Eastern Sierra range



The California-Pacific Section of the Society for Range Management (CalPac-SRM) provides its professional certification program to promote professional standards in all activities devoted to rangeland resources, and to evaluate the education and professional experience of rangeland managers. 

Certification as a "Certified Rangeland Manager" (CRM) constitutes recognition the applicant meets minimum educational, experience, and ethical standards adopted by CalPac-SRM.  Licensing may be granted by the California Board of Forestry and Fire Protection following certification by the CalPac-SRM, successful completion of a written exam, adherence to ethical requirements, and payment of state license renewal fees. The Board of Forestry has certified CalPac-SRM’s independent program as protecting the public interest in accordance with Public Resources Code 762 and 772 and 14 CCR 1650 and 1651, such that certification by CalPac-SRM qualifies an individual for a state CRM license without further examination but subject to the Board’s additional licensing fees. This program serves the unique needs for certification of professional rangeland managers in California.


CalPac-SRM also provides an "Associate Rangeland Manager" (ARM) program as a preliminary step towards certification as a CRM.  It is offered to applicants who meet the educational requirements for certification as a CRM, but do not yet meet the experience requirements.  The ARM program does not directly present the opportunity for certification as a CRM or licensing by the California Board of Forestry and Fire Protection.  We encourage applications for the ARM by all those professionals meeting the requirements for the ARM as a demonstration of intent and progress towards a CRM.


These two programs serve the unique needs of professional rangeland managers in California, and are not intended to compete with the national Society for Range Management's programs for Certified Professional in Rangeland Management (CPRM) and Certified Range Management Consultant (CRMC).  Note neither the CPRM nor CRMC are recognized by the State of California, and do not meet the requirements for practicing rangeland management in California.


As of December 2021, there are 81 licensed CRMs in our state.


This webpage is designed to provide reference information for current CRMs and ARMs, those professionals intersted in becoming CRMs or ARMs, and others interested in the program.




What is a Certified Rangeland Manager and What Work Requires a CRM?


What are the Different Certifications and Licenses that Apply to California Rangelands?
How Can I find a CRM?





What makes a Certified Rangeland Manager (CRM) special in California?


The CRM license is a specialty certificate under California’s Forest Practice Rules and has no transferability with other SRM certification programs. The CRM license is highly recommended for any rangeland management work, but is required for any rangeland management work (see above) on forested landscapes with at least 10% tree canopy in California. The CRM license is not required for federal lands such as national forests or when private landowners are managing their own private property.

To read more about the legislative history of this program and current regulations see:

PFEC policies as adopted July 14, 2021 see Title 12
Cal-Pac CRM Specialty, Independent Program as recognized by the State Board of Forestry and Fire Protection on July 14, 2021
CalFire Professional Foresters Registration website with the above and other relevant info




How Can I become a CRM?


Brochure for CRM Applicants
The First Step -- Associate Rangeland Manager
• The Next Step -- Certified Rangeland Manager Eligibility Criteria and Application for Certified Rangeland Manager
Letters of Recommendation
What If I Need More Coursework?




Now That I'm a CRM...


I'm a CRM. How can I get Continuing Education Credits?



Cal Pac SRM